Friday, November 18, 2011

Making Due!

Thanks to Google, you have a ready resource when it comes to food prep!

The other night I spotted a purple cabbage at  the rear of my fridge, but short of boiling it with salt and pepper, I wasn't sure what else to do with it. So I went on line.

What I came up with was an apple cabbage combo that turned out to be simple and yummy!

What I loved about this was that I didn't have to go out and buy anything! I've started keeping a stash of apples in my refrigerator drawer, because I usually eat one every day. (Cuts the food cravings!)

Basically, I sliced part of the cabbage and two small apples and put them in a saucepan with a cup of water and three fourths cup white vinegar. To that was added a half teaspoon of cinnamon, and then a few dashes of cloves and allspice. I brought it to a boil and then let it simmer for about 30 minutes.

It was my main dish because it was the larger portion of the meal, sharing a plate with some salmon and wild rice.

It would have been much more expensive if I had bought a larger piece of salmon ($7.99/lb for wild- caught). Instead, I bought a little over a half pound for $5, because we don't need that much protein in a meal. That was sided with a half cup of rice. By making apples and cabbage the main dish, I heaped some fiber into my meal ~ and that promotes digestion, cleansing, and again, reduces food cravings.

I only used a quarter of the cabbage, so there's enough left to divide into a hot soup, or to add ot salads.

You can cut a lot of expense and gain a lot of nutrition with a little planning! 

No comments: