Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Contemplations Amidst Hunger Pangs

I sit here snacking on multi-grain crackers and garlic hummus ~ knowing I was just SO close to buying a chocolate bar! Chocolate was a match for my mood this evening ~ unsettled.. thinking of too many things. If I had a sack of chips in the cupboard, they'd have been quickly opened ~ and way too many eaten!

Which is precisely why I don't keep chips in the cupboard!

We can kid ourselves and say we are the master of our choices, but a lot depends on whether it's 1 o'clock or 5 o'clock ~ and how good we feel about ourselves at the time. (I look back to the days of raising kids with compassion for those doing it now. Five to six o'clock is probably the worst hour of the day!)

But now that I have something nutritious in my stomach, I can go about preparing something equally nutritious for dinner. Tonight, I'm pulling some left-over pasta tossed in sauteed garlic and olive oil out of the refrigerator for a side to the main entrees ~ another mess of greens!

I love this option because it's pretty much the same routine ~ but you can vary the ingredients.
So to the sauteed onions and garlic in olive oil, I'll toss in some washed spinach leaves, some chopped red peppers and sun dried tomatoes. Very fast! The last ingredient will be some balsalmic vinegar ~ or may just cider vinegar.

A few slices of oranges and an oatmeal chocolate chip cookie (Kashi brand) will be dessert.

Why am I so passionate? I'm nearly sixty-four, and I view this practice as my retirement investment. As long as I feel good and can buy the foods that make that possible, I'll have lifestyle I want!

You'll also hear this often here: Healthy eating is affordable health care!

No comments: