Thursday, October 27, 2011

Awareness Trumps Knowledge When It Comes to Eating Well

I'm intrigued with the realization that awareness of our needs can guide our choices more accurately than knowledge.


More simply, I wasn't feeling that great last night after I had a meal of albacore tacos, rice and beans, PRECEDED by a plate of fried calamari. I didn't have to add it all up to understand intuitively what my body had to say about it. It was seeking a cleanse, so I settled on an apple and some lemon water before I went to bed. Fortunately, it helped.


Granted, this was a special occasion. My husband and I were trying out a new restaurant ~ and we love calamari. It's the only fried food I ever eat, so we ordered a plate of it. But when we left, I found I didn't have that familiar sense of well-being I associated with eating lighter in the evenings.

So tonight, while my husband enjoyed a grilled cheese sandwich and some tomato soup, I checked in with my stomach and opted instead for a sliced pear and some ginger tea.

So what does that suggest about abstinence? Absolutely nothing!

I'll go back and have albacore tuna tacos, but next time, I'll split the order with someone else (there's two to an order), and I won't have calamari, too. Or, I'll just order the calamari and a side salad, and bring several people with me to share the appetizer plate.

Because the deal is, it's never "all or nothing." We get ourselves into big trouble that way because we end up thinking the choices we made were wrong.

But every choice has a consequence. It's as simple as that. It's not a judgment or a punishment, and it's not good or bad. It's just what happens!

No comments: