Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Benefits of Raw Food

Here's a little something I stumbled upon this week that is so delicious, easy and healthy!

It's a combo of chopped fresh produce ~ mainly colorful stuff like chopped purple cabbage, red and green peppers, carrots, broccoli, red and green onion, cilantro; and black and garbanzo beans. My husband put it altogether in a bowl and set it in the fridge after we had watched a DVD on eating raw foods.

A small cut of salmon or other meat, and it's a meal!

But meat isn't in the raw foods plan, you may say. True, but it is in most people's diets. So if you have a heaping serving of the vegetable dish I just mentioned, you won't be able to eat a large portion of anything else because it's loaded with fiber. A note ~ don't ruin what it has to offer by dousing it with dressing from the supermarket. Instead use lime or lemon juice, or balsamlc vinegar and olive oil.

I don't have health insurance, and so I consider eating fresh fruits and vegetables a major part of risk management. I'm not always good about avoiding sweet treats, but I have to say it's much easier the more vegetables and fruit I eat. And it's less costly and less time consuming, so there's the added benefit of reduced stress.

We can choose to nourish our bodies, and we can choose the most effective way of doing that! Healthy eating is affordable healthcare!  

No comments: