Friday, August 22, 2014

Tumeric Tea ~ My New Favorite Drink!

I fervently believe in the alchemic powers of whole foods.

That's why I totally embraced blending up a batch of turmeric ginger tea. The recipe I stumbled across called for it to be served as a refreshing cold drink.

Turmeric has long been recognized in other cultures for its healing powers. It reduces inflammation in the body, it's a strong antioxidant, and serves as a natural antibiotic. Coupled with ginger, also noted for its medicinal properties, and some fresh lemons, it offered a remedy either for a malady or two, or a few ounces of prevention.

I had to go out and buy fresh ground turmeric, but I had everything else to make a three-day supply. I quickly blended the concoction together and prepared myself for shock and awe.

To my dismay, I could hardly choke it down.

The lemons delivered a mighty "bite" to the taste buds, and pretty much over-powered the drink.

I was going to work on this.

The next morning I poured about 4 oz into a cup and added hot water so I could drink it as a hot tea. Not too bad, but still not something I would look forward to drinking. 

The planets must has been re-aligning in my favor, because the same day I saw a Facebook post with Dr. Sanja Gupta's recipe for Tumeric Ginger Tea, so I decided to give it a try. 

Verdict?  I LOVE it!  It tastes much like chai tea, but minus the caffeine.

If you want to try it:  Heat one cup of almond milk in a small saucepan, stirring in 1/2 tsp of turmeric, 1 tsp of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp of ginger and 1 tsp on honey.

Pour it into your favorite cup and enjoy!

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

I'm going to try this recipe. A friend had told me about the healing properties of turmeric when Con had a bruised hip muscle. Amazing how fast it reduced the pain. We keep a bottle in the medicine cabinet. The tea sounds tasty. Thanks. Rosemary