Thursday, December 10, 2009

Eat Simply ~ Eat Well!

Sometimes it’s just a matter of eating less!

I get stuck sometimes gazing into the refrigerator for the makings of something “creative” ~ and it doesn’t always come together.

But the other day, for example, I found that even that half cup of leftover linguini I was tempted to toss down the garbage disposal ~ but didn’t ~ and that skim of marinara sauce in the jar, was just enough to save me from buying lunch somewhere.

I mixed it together with a few black olives, sprinkled some parmesan cheese and a little pepper, and it was perfect. I also grabbed a few raw baby carrots and some almonds before I headed out the door, and I was on my way.

There were once days when I’d scrape more than that off our plates after dinner, and often felt pangs of guilt left over from the years of listening to the nuns preach to us about the starving people in India.The sobering reality is that now there are starving people in this country ~ and but for the grace of God ~ any of us could be in a food line somewhere sixty days from now.

So returning to my “mindful eating” mantra ~ the key is to plan ahead. As opposed to making big hauls from Sam’s Club or Wal Mart that fill your cupboards and refrigerators, plan a menu ~ mindful of what you NEED to eat. Turns out, it's not really that much!

It will save you time, energy and money (not to mention calories!) ~ while you invest in your most important asset ~ your health!

(I’ll be presenting on this topic this Sunday, December 13th, from 11:30 – 12:30 at the Academy of Yoga. Would love to see you there!)



1 comment:

Sheri said...

I am with you on using only what you need...and also being grateful for what you have.

My kids aren't much into leftovers...yet. I tell them, "I can't wait until YOU pay the grocery bill. I bet then you'll appreciate every scrap that much more."

Good luck on your presentation on Sunday. Yeah for you!